Permanent Account Number (PAN) is 10 digits alphanumeric identity that is unique to each taxpayer. Income tax department of India issues PAN under the supervision of Central Board of Direct Taxes top track taxable tax transactions and avoid evasion. Change of address within the country does not affect PAN number.
Who applies for PAN number?
An applicant for PAN is:
- Anybody who lives in India and earns a taxable income. Foreigners who pay tax to the central board of direct taxes should also get one
- Any business owner with a total sale turnover or a gross receipt that surpasses Rs5 Lakh in the past financial year. The business can be a good store, service or consultancy.
How to resolve a discrepancy in PAN card application
You can correct the differences and other mistakes online by following these steps.
- Select PAN correction option on best book review writing services application type drop-down menu and fill the personal details.
- The system redirects to a new page to generate a token number and display it. You will also receive it through the email address that you used during application. Check this option to submit scanned images and enter the PAN number you are correcting.
- Fill the required details, the fields marked mandatory and select the left margin for the corresponding box in the appropriate field that requires correction.
- Resolving discrepancies of a PAN card application will cost a fee of Rs.110 if your communication address is within India. You will pay Rs. 1020 to process a disparity if your communication address is not in India. You can make your payment by one of these means:
- Credit or debit card
- Internet banking
You can use a demand draft payable in favor of NSDL-PAN, but you can only pay at Mumbai. You will write the applicant’s name and acknowledgment number at the back of the demand draft.
If your payment is successful, you will receive a downloadable acknowledgment on your screen. You should not discard it. It is an essential part of your discrepancy resolution because you should print and send it to NSDL e-Gov. You must fix two photos in provided space in the acknowledgment section if you are applying as an individual. Be careful not to overlook the portion left for signature on a picture and the acknowledgment receipt.
You can make corrections to PAN card application offline, by collecting and submitting a PAN correction form at an NSDL collection center and file a letter with an assessing officer in the jurisdiction. You can also get service at the same place for re-issuance or surrender.
You may also download the form online and fill the fields which are similar to the ones you find online. You will fill all the mandatory sections and submit it to an NSDL center.
Important points on discrepancy resolution
The signed acknowledgment with other required documents must reach NSDL within 15 days of online submission.
This PAN correction form applies for other purposes such as surrendering of extra PAN or re-issuance without correction. Check the checkbox on the top left carefully to mark the right box. Making the wrong field will increase the confusion.